I just finished my March UFO, “Oh My Many Stars” quilt with two days to spare!
There’s something so good and so right about finishing a quilt that you started seven years ago! I didn’t realize it had been that long until I saw this:
I’m not sure that I used this fabric right away, so I’m giving myself a year of “shelf time” just in case.
I did a speedy binding all by machine, and it turned out really nice. When I know I’m going to be finishing the binding by machine rather than by hand, I start by sewing it onto the wrong side of the quilt and wrap the binding to the front. Then I stitch very close to the binding’s edge on the front of the quilt with invisible thread.
This pattern originally came from American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine and it is now downloadable here. I changed the center of the chain blocks and made them pinwheels and most of the stars are variations of the original. I used the book, Stars by Magic, by Nancy Johnson-Srebro (no longer in print) to make all of my stars without any Y-seams! I love her technique and the star variations are just beautiful.
I had trim pieces left over from the stars and I used them to create a pieced border. I must have been really ambitious back then!
I also had pieces of a star left over (that I somehow managed to save and find) that I wanted to use for a quilt label. If I put the units together as intended, there would be no room for writing:
So I rearranged them into this:
And now I have lots of room to write all of the information I want!
I’m so happy with this quilt and so glad it’s done!
I hope you all have a wonderful day!